Thanks for the card, Beth, and congratulations on your little one.
Melissa, thanks for the note you left on our door. Sorry we missed you, please stop anytime you're going through.
New photo at the top of the blog. Some of you probably recognize the walnut tree and the red-leafed maple. If not, this is a view to the west of our house.
One of the wonderful things that happened in the middle of our kitchen building and moving projects was a clogged drain at the Carlson homestead...... Dawn was due to arrive in a week, so I needed to get this solved.
I found a local plumbing outfit, The A-Team, that had a power drain auger. Brent showed up with his rig and we set to work. This thing has an electric motor that feeds a heavy duty snake up the drain. On the end is a cutter tool and we ended up cutting through a bunch of roots. Above is one of the spools of snake ready to go.
Once the entire 75' of snake was in the drain, Brent spliced on the second spool. The empty one is in the background. There is a little gizmo on the tool that engages the spinning snake and actually threads the snake into the drain. He was on the job about 1.25 hours and the drain was working well again. I always wondered how those rigs work, now I know......
Just before we officially moved in, we got Josh and Dave to re-shingle the Chalet. This view is of the original roof from the northeast. The shingles were about 35 years old as far as we can figure out. A friend of mine, Swede Johnson helped Nort shingle it when the building was new.
This view from the northwest shows how the shingles had deteriorated. The worst area was on the southeast corner.
We went with forest green shingles and I think they look pretty good on that building.
And the last corner view. The roof is complete now and one item checked off the list.
We've had some visitors around the house lately. Peggy actually got to see the second of a pair of fawns moments after it was born. Still wet with the mother attending to it. The ones above were about 15 feet from the house when I walked out the door, and they stayed around long enough for me to fetch the camera and get a picture.
When Tim was up the week before Memorial Day, he and I spent a couple of days splitting and stacking his firewood for next year. I didn't get any proof shots of him working, but I remembered the camera when Russ and I finished up the last little bit of wood on Memorial Day. Russ looks like he is ready to bust the splitter in half.
Yes, that was the piece we were looking for.... the last one. We had some really warm, humid weather that week, but we pushed ahead and got it done.
A good sight! A full trailer, no wood left on the ground.
So I got the tractor out of the shed, put the back blade on it and cleaned up the wood yard. Every little task brought me closer to being finished with that blasted wood.
Looks nice when it's all done though. And firewood season gives me the chance to give Ivan a couple of shots about wood length. He has volunarily sawed our wood the last couple of years, and I always complain about the length he sawed it..... I hope he knows I'm kidding. His work on the pulp pile has made my life lots easier these last few years. Thanks, buddy!
I just got back into the house after spending an hour and a half on bat patrol. As soon as the weather warmed up, we discovered that we have a bat colony living somewhere up in the top of the garage. Not a good thing. I have been investigating how to get rid of them and the first task is to determine their entry/exit spot. Now I know where that is and we will start screening those areas so the bats can get out but can't get back in. We'll add a couple of bat houses nearby so they have somewhere to go besides one of the other buildings. Finally we'll seal up the places where they are getting in, and maybe we will be done with that aggravation.....
I gotta go, Carlo