Ottertail Country

Ottertail Country
Ottertail South

October 5, 2009

Apples 'n wheelers.....

.




A few weeks earlier, I did the annual apple harvest. For weeks serveral apples a day had dropped, we picked up some, the deer ate the rest. One day I decided to pick the rest, so I got the ladders and shoulder bags out and picked what I could reach.





I picked alot of them while I was standing on the shed roof. This was about two weeks ago, the sun was hot enough to warrent my big brimmed hat, but turned out too warm to wear it!!





I ended up with four grocery bags nearly full, and a couple of shoulder bags nearly full. Peggy spent evenings for about a week peeling and coring apples and getting them into the freezer. I helped some, but not too much......





Peggy made some apple crisp treats for me to take to work on my birthday, and of course, some apples.........





Turned into pies!! I just finished one this afternoon. I love September.......





Did I mention that I got a "new to me" truck? My 1994 Ranger just was getting to repair dependant lately. When you start spending more on repairs than a loan payment would be, it's time to get a different vehicle..... so I moved all the way up to a 2003 Ranger. On my birthday, we had stopped for a while at the Boondocks in Prentice. Ivan was there, Trina from work and Peggy and I. We had a couple of celebratory bevvies, a lot of smart (term used loosely) talk and we left for home at about 7:00. Soon after we arrived home, Peg asked for some help in the garage.... I thought "what in the world is she doing out there at this time of night?"





When I got out there, here was a new four wheeler!! I had been talking about getting a new 'used' one lately. The old one is quite worn out but still runs pretty well, two wheel drive. When I got the loan for the truck I added on an amount to get a used machine. Well here was this new one which Peg had arranged to get with Ivan's help. Ivan brought it down earlier in the day while I was at work.... so I got a new four wheeler for my birthday at half price....





Admiring her handywork. I had no clue this was going on..... thanks about 2 million, Peggy!!!











The next day, these two clowns showed up!! Just kidding, not clowns. Greg brought me a set of wheeler riding goggles for my birthday. Ivan's two month old wheeler is identical to mine, except it's green instead of black.











So here we have both Rangers. The white one will be visiting a salvage yard soon..... and not coming back. So much rust on everything underneath, and major components continuing to drain my bank account with no positive results. This newer one is a four cylinder Mazda engine, with a 5 speed manual tranny. It should get pretty good mileage, not as good as a small car, but that's a trade-off we decided to make to have a little hauling capability. As you can see, that new wheeler just fits in the back.....


I gotta go, Carlo




.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it sure is nice to be able to see all of the apples in the freezer now. Those apples really do make the best pies. As of right now, I think that there are only 2 apples left on the tree, marking the end of the season again.
The new red truck looks nice, drives nice, and we have a lot more confidence in it getting us to and fro, than the old white one. It was a good move for sure.
Speaking of good moves. Thanks a bunch Ivan, for doing all of the running, chasing, calling, and especially bringing the 4-wheeler down here and "stashing it" for me. Gene really did seem surprised, and that was fun too. We both had to take a run on it down to Spring Road...just to test it out. It was dark already by then so then I went to bed. I thought Gene was heading in that direction too... but he had other plans. He had decided to see how the headlights worked in the woods. Yup, I guess he likes it.
Hope everybody is well.
hugs ps

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats a good apple pie, except maybe a new four-wheeler, or a new truck :-) You made out pretty well! Maybe you'll have to share some of that pie!

Kristi

yram said...

Peggy is so sweet! apple treats and wheelers all you! I think she likes you!
Sounds like a good birthday. Truck looks as nice as a truck! good to have sound wheels.

Anonymous said...

Wow those pies look so good!!!!!! Glad you got good birthday gifts :) ~Rosie